What to do after a motor vehicle accident (MVA) if injured in Guelph?
It can be overwhelming and scary to be in a motor vehicle accident. To help to decrease some of the confusion on the paperwork side, below are some steps you can take if injured in a car accident.
1. Report the motor vehicle accident to your insurer.
2. Visit your primary health care provider and inform them that you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident.
3. For current patients, inform Dr. Gill or Dr. Kubert that you were injured in a car accident so that they may book extra time to discuss any new injuries and perform a physical examination of the injured area.
4. For new patients, inform Dr. Gill or Dr. Kubert that you were injured in a car accident upon your initial visit. Important information to provide to the clinic upon the first visit include: Claim number, Date of accident & Adjuster’s name and contact information.
6. In addition to the standard clinic forms, there is additional paperwork that needs to be processed when you are visiting a chiropractor for therapy as a result of a car accident. Your insurer will forward forms to you that are required to be filled out by you, in addition they will provide Treatment Plan forms for you to provide to your chiropractor. Dr. Gill or Dr. Kubert will submit the Treatment Plan to your insurer directly.
7. If your treatment plan is approved by your insurer, then the cost for therapy is billed directly to the auto insurer. However, if you have extended health care, the FSCO guidelines require that your extended health care insurance is billed first prior to billing your auto insurance.
The goal of treatment after a car accident is to return you to you pre-accident status. For more information on whiplash and treatment at our Guelph clinic, please visit our Treatment of Whiplash page.
For more information regarding how to proceed after a motor vehicle accident in Ontario, visit the FSCO website.