This is the fourth guest post from Steve Mills, a local Guelph participant of the May Health Challenge. See his story here:
Well, the May Health Challenge is over, but for me this was only the beginning. But before I go charging into the rest of my life, let us recap the impetus for my new life.
I had set out certain goals to achieve:
- No pop or chips for the month. No problem. After the inclusion of my other goals, I hardly thought about this one.
- Stop eating extras. I still catch myself opening the fridge whenever I pass it, but haven’t given in to temptation. I now have to work on breaking the habit of grabbing the fridge handle.
- Reduce my portion sizes and avoid getting full. This has been a tough battle, and will continue to be a battle, probably for the rest of my life. I accept that and realize that every day I refuse to gorge myself is a win and I plan to continue winning.
- Increase my exercise. I have walked to work every day that life and weather didn’t dictate otherwise. I gave up on couch to 5k early, because I couldn’t stand all the slowing down parts and decided to keep up my pace. I have been lifting weights, but need to dedicate myself to learning a better routine.
- I vowed to lose 10 pounds by the end of May. Unfortunately, it seems my scale is broken and may have been when I weighed in, so there is no way of truly knowing. However, as of today, I have lost 2 pant sizes. That’s right, 2.
I am achieving my goals and thanks to your support and encouragement, I will continue achieving them. Thank you, Julie and Mark for initiating this. You two have proven time and again that you not only care for the health of your patients, but the health of our community. It’s because of you I believe I can be unstoppable.
To my wife who has battled cancer and my son who lives with diabetes, you have had health challenges thrust upon you, but have never given up, never given in. There are those who have been inspired by my indomitable spirit and I’m truly flattered, but it is because of them that I know what an indomitable spirit looks like.